Waves arms through billowing dust.
“Is anyone still out there?”
Well, as the title of this post suggests, I am planning on actually posting here on a regular basis again. Yipee!
In addition, I am also brushing the dust off my writing life. I seem to have let it wither and grow stagnant this past year (okay, 18 months, but who’s counting) and I’m not cool with that. I’ve put a few things in place over the summer to help revitalize things.
1) I read, and read, and read, and read. Not just books on writing, but really awesome books in general. I don’t think there’s any better way to find inspiration!
2) I plotted out an outline for a contest I want to enter this fall. If you’re not aware of it, Jim Henson Co. and a major publishing house have teamed up to search for someone to write the first novel in a YA series of prequels to The Dark Crystal. Gelflings FTW!
3) I broke down and admitted I can’t write from the hip. I’m not a pantser. So, when I started writing a new novel in the spring and I told myself I could wing it, I shouldn’t have been surprised when the first 10k didn’t turn out very well and I’d basically written myself into a corner.
4) Which means I hammered out an outline for the novel that actually makes sense AND has me totally stoked to write it.
5) I bought a tablet that runs Office 2013, and it’s so compact I can carry it and a full keyboard in my purse. Hooray for no longer having to lug my laptop around! Now I can write anywhere, anytime!
I also have some news to share, but I can’t do that just yet. No, it’s not exciting news. It’s not good news and it’s not bad news. It’s a change. I’ll tell you all about it as soon as I’m cleared to do so.
And on that note, I think I will head off and open a new Word doc and start writing.